Serial Errors

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Dec 4 21:53:04 CST 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Carlos Saldarriaga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to wine and the list.  I am using Wine release 20010112
> on a RH7.1 (used supplied RPM) to try and run a program to control a video
> switcher that doesn't have a linux ported program.
>
> The program starts OK but when it scans the com1 to diagnose the switcher,
> it reports a bad serial port or faulty connection.  The utility has
> no problem under windows.  I included a trace using --debugmsg +comm,+file
> (hope it is OK to send the attachment).
>
> Can anyone make sense out of it, as I can't.  Can I solve the
> problem using setserial or stty.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlos E. Saldarriaga

I am sorry, I don't think you will find many people who want to pick
bugs out of an year-old (almost) version of Wine, and I am not one of
them.  Wine changes every day.  If you will get the latest version, or
at least the latest ftp release (though at least one serial comm bug has
been fixed since then, and we are still working on them) you may find
your app works, and if not we will see about fixing it.
Please uninstall the wine rpm before attempting to install a new
version.

I might have been able to tell you last January if you could fix it with
stty or setserial, but I have forgotten.  I only have brains enough to
keep track of one version of wine.
+comm,+file is the right minimal trace for serial comms, that's good.

(From <wine>/ANNOUNCE:)

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20011108.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20011108.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20011108.tar.gz
  ftp://orcus.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/Wine-20011108.tar.gz

It should also be available from any other site that mirrors ibiblio.org.
For more download locations, see http://ftpsearch.lycos.com. These
locations also hold pre-built documentation packages in various
formats: wine-doc-html.tar.gz, wine-doc-txt.tar.gz, wine-doc.pdf.gz
and wine-doc.ps.gz.

You can also get the current source directly from the CVS tree. Check
http://www.winehq.com/dev.shtml for details.

^^^^ this is the approach preferred by the people who are likely to be
able to help you.  It is the version we are working with ourselves,
approximately.

Lawson

---oof---