Problem report: SHRINKER.ERR, fix to DEVICE_Open/CreateFileA?

Robert Baruch autophile at starband.net
Fri Dec 7 10:57:56 CST 2001

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the reply. I read your thread on VXD's from January 2001 and
now I understand that Wine can't support just any VXD.

Is "SHRINKER" some kind of decompressor? A long long time ago in a
galaxy far far away I wrote a utility which would decompress an MSDOS
self-decompressing-exe file that had been compressed by some utility I
never got the name of. Would there be any interest in some kind of patch
to Wine which would let this particular VXD's job be done within Wine?
Something that would detect the shrinker VXD and immediately act to
emulate it -- say, DEVICE_Open would look into the VXD to see if it's
name was SHRINK34?

I used winedbg to break the program just before it deletes the VXD, and
then used IDA to look inside the VXD. It has no API's, and a single
ioctl routine, which has five possible calls. Is there any interest in
pursuing this further?

--Rob