Problem report: SHRINKER.ERR, fix to DEVICE_Open/CreateFileA?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 7 12:55:39 CST 2001

Robert Baruch <autophile at starband.net> wrote:
: Hi Uwe,

: Thanks for the reply. I read your thread on VXD's from January 2001 and
: now I understand that Wine can't support just any VXD.

: Is "SHRINKER" some kind of decompressor? A long long time ago in a
: galaxy far far away I wrote a utility which would decompress an MSDOS
: self-decompressing-exe file that had been compressed by some utility I
: never got the name of. Would there be any interest in some kind of patch
: to Wine which would let this particular VXD's job be done within Wine?
: Something that would detect the shrinker VXD and immediately act to
: emulate it -- say, DEVICE_Open would look into the VXD to see if it's
: name was SHRINK34?

: I used winedbg to break the program just before it deletes the VXD, and
: then used IDA to look inside the VXD. It has no API's, and a single
: ioctl routine, which has five possible calls. Is there any interest in
: pursuing this further?

Well, there general saying in the wine community is that VXDs are win95
things and will  go away, as MS-Os'es are moving to the NT. So gettting
wine's behaviour right to run the non VXD shrunker parts would be another
good thing.

However I have seen VXD with regard to dongle protexted software also with
the NT incarnation of wine and I thinks that the VXD is really requested
when in NT mode,

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de