LoadOEMResource crash [Was: Re: Problem report: SHRINKER.ERR, fix to DEVICE_Open/CreateFileA? ]

Robert Baruch autophile at starband.net
Sat Dec 8 19:34:32 CST 2001

Oh, I think I see now. There was a call to VIRTUAL_SetProt, which
protected memory mapped regions of memory, before the first exception:

0806d398:trace:virtual:VIRTUAL_SetProt 0x459000-0x459fff c-r--
       0x400000 - 0x400fff c-r--
       0x401000 - 0x458fff c----
       0x459000 - 0x459fff c-r--
       0x45a000 - 0x758fff c----
       0x759000 - 0x765fff c-rw-

And address 0x45f000 is inside of a c---- segment. So I think maybe
that's why the second exception gets thrown when we attempt to read from
that address. I guess gdb somehow is able to ignore the protections, or
maybe doesn't handle mapped memory well.

So does wine need to be fixed? Is this a wacky Microsoft bug, where
Linux really pays attention to protections and Windows doesn't?

Well, there's still that original exception to look at...

--Rob