Drive letters

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Sun Dec 9 17:56:09 CST 2001

Howdy,
In my continuing effort to get Agent up and as functional as possible,
I'm now looking into launching applications.

For example, if I have a .jpg file attached to an email, double
clicking it should be able to open an application (like gimp) to view
the attachment.

I've run into a couple of problems with this.  The first is that gimp
tries to open a file called F:\temp\xyz.jpg.  Of course gimp doesn't
know anything about "F:"  When passing the message to the native linux
system, is there a way to cull/map drive letters?

Secondly, Agent has a Data\temp subdirectory called temp to store the
file while an application uses that file.  When passing the file name
to the it just references the temp\filename. This makes sense from
Agent's point of view because its current directory is whichever data
directory from which it is run.  Is there a way to use this
information to map back to native system?

Thirdly, when passing the file reference to the native linux app, it
appears (from the gimp error message) that the Windows slashes "\" are
used not the Unix "/".  Is there a way to map these for the native
system?

And fourthly, when a file name under the windows system has spaces in
the title, gimp thinks it's actually different file names.  Is there a
way to put the filename in quotes for the native Linux system?

Or have I found my first wine development projects?

Thanks,
Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com
http://www.oliversampson.com