IPX support in Starcraft - Why can't I get it working?

Glenn Schrader geschrader at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 10 21:14:34 CST 2001

David Bronaugh wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 14:53:37 Glenn Schrader wrote:
>

>> I've been successfully running Starcraft in multiplayer LAN mode and
>> it uses IPX
>> with NO crypto. A while back I attempted to connect to BattleNET and
>> debug the
>> problems but it complains about needing the crypto dll (as you've
>> said) and maybe
>> some other stuff.  I didn't get very far.
>> ---
>> Glenn Schrader
>

> Hmm.. well, all I'm trying for is IPX over LAN. Perhaps you can give
> me some tips or pointers... as I have stated before, I'm using WINE
> 20011108 (on Debian 2.2, but I built it from source), Starcraft 1.07,
> and I have IPX crap loaded into the kernel, etc etc etc. It *should*
> work, but it doesn't (dialog pops up, "Unable to initialize network
> provider" when I click IPX network game, and select "OK").
>
> David Bronaugh

Ok. A few things for you to ponder...

I haven't been able to get Starcraft to run on any builds newer than
20010510. Anything newer
seems to have colormap problems and locks up. I can't see how this
relates to your problem but
it is a difference in what we're doing.

Even though you have IPX installed, are you sure that its being started?
Look for /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipx
and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/*ipx (should find 1 file). If you don't find these
files then ipx hasn't been
configured to start when Linux boots. If its not being started then use
a command like the
following to initialize the driver:

    ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.2 0x12345678

Are you attempting to play between two Linux machines to between a Linux
and a  Windows
machine? The last value in the command line above (i.e. 0x12345678) can
be any
 >>>non zero<<< number but must be the same everywhere. Check the ipx
scripts in /etc/rc.d/*
and/or in the Windows IPX protocol settings.

If that doesn't make it work then i'm stumped. Its been pretty reliable
for me.

---
Glenn Schrader