running an old build of wine?

Dave Jones dajones at purdue.edu
Wed Dec 12 11:58:11 CST 2001

I've noticed lots of people posting to this board running ancient versions
of wine.

Upgrading or replacing wine is easy..but I know some of you are slighty
afraid of messing what you got set up already.

There are current binaries, rpms, and source here
http://www.winehq.com/download.shtml

I recommend getting the CVS snapshot rpm (the one on top) or to just use
cvs to get the source (instructions on that page).

Transgaming has their own version of wine with Gaming enhancements,
although you must be a subscriber to get binaries and support, the source
is readily avalable, to get it with cvs:

$cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login
...Password press ENTER
$cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co
wine
...then change into the wine folder.
./configure --with-x --disable-trace --enable-opengl --disable-debug
(these are just recommended, check ./configure --help for more options)

and if you want to install wine in /usr than add the "--prefix=/usr"

$make depend && make
$su root
#make install

the configfile must be in the ~/.transgaming folder and not in the ~/.wine
folder ...you can do a sym link also
$ln -s .wine .transgaming

I've been using the Transgaming CVS for awhile...its good.

Dave Jones - dajones at purdue.edu