VirtualProtect and app crash: exception handling?

eric pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 12 14:53:59 CST 2001

> It also shows an exception at the same access! However, windbg displays
> the exception and then allows the user to continue the program, letting
> whatever exception handler the program installed handle the exception.
> And the program does install an exception handler.
winedbg allows the same. use the pass command.

> Why does do_segv call EXC_RtlRaiseException, and not
> UnhandledExceptionFilter?
UnhandledExceptionFilter will be called when no stack handler (aka
try/catch blocks) is found (either none exists, are none of them
caught the exception). UnhandledExceptionFilter is a function
to be called by the program from within its exception handler

> Where did EXC_CallHandler get that 0x761B10
> address from?
I suppose it's the address of a try/block handler on the stack

A+