wine and microsoft word file write errors ???

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Dec 12 21:07:29 CST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Dan Sawyer wrote:

> Lawson,
>
> Thanks for the reply. A couple of follow-up points:
>
> 1. wine is being run from root
>
> 2. many apps seem to be able to perform writes without the issue
>
> 3. it appears both excel and word have the problem
>
> (ps I tried to change the mount permissions and was unable to effect
> them at all.)

permissions for the whole filesystem are set by the mount command
itself.  Changing permissions of the mount point doesn't work, and
changing /etc/fstab has no effect until the next time the fs is mounted.
You could of course change fstab and order root to umount and mount
again.  If I am telling you something you know, sorry... permissions are
set according to the umask= entry in fstab or the mount command (see man
2 umask and/or "help umask"); or you can set the owner/ group with uid=
/ gid=.

I wasn't driving at permissions, necessarily, but to the fstype it is
mounted as.  You can mount a fat32 partition -t msdos, then
filenames will be limited to 8.3.  I just tried this, with
"Filesystem" = "win95", and while notepad.exe (from wfw 3.11, I think)
could save "short.txt" it popped a message box that it could not create
"foogleannemar.txt".  If you want vfat behavior, in effect, you have to
specify it both to the OS and to wine.  Mount it -t vfat.
(Oh, I ran that as root, I didn't bother to fix permissions or owner -
I wasn't sure if the fat32 code was in vfat or in msdos so it was just a
quick test to see I know what I'm talking about).

> Thanks,
> Dan

Lawson