Wine and Baldur's Gate

Ian D . Stewart idstewart at compuvative.com
Sun Dec 16 20:19:19 CST 2001

On 2001.12.15 12:01:27 -0500 Ian D . Stewart wrote:

> On 2001.12.15 09:22:03 -0500 J.Brown (Ender/Amigo) wrote:
>> Try the latest cvs with the OSS sound patch posted on wine-devel by eric
>> pouech about a dozen messages ago. Use the second version of the patch,
>> not the first :)
>>
>> That should help the sound problems at least...
>
> Well, I've checked out source from CVS, which apparently already
> includes eric's patch.  I'm now getting anew error message:
>
> 	This sound card's driver does not support direct access
> 	The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
>
> After I click 'Play', the opening credits start, then within a few
> seconds the process dies.  Unfortunately it does so without resetting
> the X display mode to 800x600.

Well, I've made a little more progress.

I can run the app By cd'ing to the Baldur's Gate directory and running
'wine BGMain.exe'.  Once within the game itself, if I go into Options (the
button that looks like a floppy), then select 'Graphics', then enable
'Software Standard BLT', the bottom and right hand panels are displayed
properly.

I still don't get any sound in the game itself (sound works fine in the
opening credits and intro movie).  I'm guessing this has something to do
with the error message

	fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundBufferImpl_QueryInterface Unknown GUID
{31efac30-515c-11d0-a9aa-00aa0061be93}

(undocumented API call?)

Anybody knows what this GUID refers to, or how to research it, I would be
much abliged.

Ian
  --
Linux, the choice          | DON'T go!!  I'm not HOWARD COSELL!!  I know
of a GNU generation   -o)  | POLISH JOKES ... WAIT!! Don't go!!  I AM