wine and microsoft word file write errors ???

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Dec 17 17:02:07 CST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, dan wrote:

> Pavel,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yes /mnt/win98 is mounted as 0777 and word still can't write.
>
> The error messages are in 8.3 format, it may be a word config thing.
>
> Dan

You thnaked me for my comments, you quoted them, but AFAICT, you didn't
read them.  A fat32 partition can be mounted either msdos or vfat.
If it has the fstype msdos, Linux will limit filenames to 8.3; with
"Filesystem" = "win95" (or "vfat"), Wine will not.  The result will be
that any attempt to write a file with a name that is not 8.3 will fail,
probably with a messagebox.

A fstype of auto will try filesystems in the order they appear in
/etc/filesystems if it exists, or in /proc/filesystems, and use the
first one that works, be it msdos or vfat.

to fix that, umount the filesystem, change its /etc/fstab line to be
fstype vfat and remount it.

Of course this is pure speculation, but it is one reason an app might
not be _able_ to create a file even though it may be permitted to.

You could also try running

wine --debugmsg +file blah.exe 2>&1|tee logfile

to see what Wine is trying to do and what joy it is getting doing it.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.