Font problems (wrong font is used) (sorry for the delay Gerard!!)

gerard patel nomailthankyoug.patel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 2 06:05:38 CST 2001

On 02 Feb 2001 10:23:53 +0100, Alberto BARSELLA
<ishark at lsh01.univ-lille1.fr> wrote:

>> I use stars to test Wine, and definitely the app does not
>> use this strange font on my system
>> It only displays 'the production queue on Backwele is empty' and I'll
>> be hard pressed to make it display something else, but it's displayed
>> with Ms Sans Serif.
>
>I don't understand: what do you mean that it only displays "the
>....".  The game doesn't run at all?

It loads all right, it answers to commands, the only problem
is that the person issuing the commands don't know how to
play ;-)

>Here I don't understand: what did you use to link the two pieces: the
>"XFONT_RealizeFont physfont 1"?

Huh, it's mostly guess ;-)

>. trace:font:LFD_ComposeLFD       LFD(uRelax=0): -macromedia-babelfish-medium-r-no
>. rmal-*-16-*-100-100-p-*-ascii-0
>. trace:font:XFONT_RealizeFont physfont 0
>. trace:font:X11DRV_FONT_SelectObject hfont=ffed
>. trace:font:XFONT_MatchDeviceFont (0) 'Babelfish' h=-11 weight=400
>. trace:font:XFONT_MatchDeviceFont found facename 'Babelfish'
>. trace:font:XFONT_Match  [ 48pt h=80  w=45  Normal ]
>. trace:font:XFONT_Match   returning 0
>. trace:font:LFD_ComposeLFD       LFD(uRelax=0): -macromedia-babelfish-medium-r-no
>. rmal-*-16-*-100-100-p-*-ascii-0
>. trace:font:XFONT_RealizeFont physfont 1
>
>I've fired up the gimp to see how this babelfish font looks like: it
>definitely looks identical to the one used in the message window.
>It seems like I followed the right procedure, but now the question I
>have is: why this font gets used?

XFONT_Match is doing the search; it returns an evaluation of
the closeness of the asked font and the evaluated font (called
'penalty' in the Wine code).

The lower the evaluation is, the better the match. As you can see, in
this case it returns 0 - a score difficult to best.

As of why, it's not easy - at least for me. At the very least, I
would require a complete trace with +relay,+font - and time.
A good deal of time.

As a work around, how about removing this font from your system ?

Gerard