Need advice on which native dlls to try

Olaf Delgado Friedrichs delgado at okeeffe-pc3.la.asu.edu
Fri Feb 2 17:58:17 CST 2001

On 2 Feb 2001 06:57:51 GMT, Andreas Mohr <aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>Olaf Delgado Friedrichs <delgado at okeeffe-pc3.la.asu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Folks!
>
>> I'm completely new to wine, so please be gentle with me!
>You're doing well so far :)

What a relief! :)

>> I am trying to run Curious Labs' Poser4 under Tuesday's CVS snapshot on
>> RedHat 6.2 without any native DLLs so far. All I get is one of those famous
>> 'Critical section 0x... wait timed out' errors. Conventional knowledge says
>> try some native DLLs - but which ones?

[snip list of DLLs]

>These are all potentially native DLLs.
>I wanted to point out the more important ones, but I can't do that,
>as nearly all DLLs seem to be equally important.
>So just get a load of these and try it with some -dll DLL=n or
>--dll DLL=n,DLL2=b arguments.
>After some experimentation there *should* be a change in behaviour.
>For better or for worse... ;-))

Thanks a lot, but - sigh! After resolving dependencing and other
conflicts, I keep getting the same result. I'm not so keen on
systematically trying several k of combinations by hand, so I am
hoping for some additional insight.

Looking at the offending address let's me suspect that x11.drv is
involved somehow. Here's an excerpt of the module trace:

trace:module:load_library loaded x11drv.dll 0x40324858 40aa0000
trace:module:MODULE_LoadLibraryExA Loaded module 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\x11drv.DLL'
 at 0x40aa0000,

[...]

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical section 0x40ad2dfc wait timed out
, retrying (60 sec) fs=0287

Would that give any hint on what to try next?

Regards,
Olaf

PS: Anyway, Wine is a great project. It's already starting to spoil
me. I don't look for Linux software so hard anymore. If there's a
Windows tool around for something I want to do, I just get it and give
it a try. :)