hello, I need some help for using wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Feb 3 12:22:48 CST 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Yves MOYA wrote:

> hello,
>
> (answering Eduardo)
>
> I have in my config file :
> "DefaultLoader" = "native, builtin, so"

This      ^^^^ is a typo, no?

Try

"DefaultLoadOrder" = "builtin, so, native"

> I doesn't know if libuser32.so is cached or in LD_LIBRARYPATH so I do the
> attachement :
>
> bash-2.04# locate libuser32.so
> /usr/lib/libuser32.so
>

> bash-2.04# /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libuser32.so
> 	libuser32.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/libuser32.so
>
> bash-2.04# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> (that output nothing)
>
> bash-2.04# cat /etc/ld.so.conf
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib
> /usr/kerberos/lib
> /usr/lib/qt-2.2.0/lib
> /usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
> /usr/lib/sane
> /usr/lib/mysql
>
> I'm sad. nothing to do...
> (a little bit: in french we say windaube for windows)
>
> (answering Lawson)
>
> my libuser32.so is in the directory /usr/lib
> (I am the administrator.)
> this path is already in /etc/ld.so.conf (see top). must I run /sbin/ldconfig
> ?
Any time you make a change to shared libraries, you must run ldconfig
before the runtime loader knows about it.  /lib and /usr/lib are in
/etc/ld.so.conf even when they are not mentioned (by default), so I
think this is not the problem.  Could it be that you have pieces
multiple versions of Wine and the dlls installed in different places?
A stale libuser32.so in /usr/lib might get in the way of a fresh one in
/usr/local/lib, FI.

Wine dlls built from the source goes in /usr/local/lib (unless you
./configure otherwise), so I guess this  one came from some package?

Madrake puts them in /usr/X11R6/lib.  I don't know what puts them in
/usr/lib.  AFAIK mandrake is an incarnation of RedHat, but ICBW.

> Yves
>
> PS: more information about my computer. it is a P2 233 128Mo with RedHat7.0.
> need more ?

A 386 with 32m is plenty.

Context of the error message might help.  Wine does not often say simply
"Cannot load user32.dll", usually it throws some errors to hint at why.

if not, try

wine --debugmsg warn+module,+fixup SETUP.EXE

or even

wine --debugmsg +module,+fixup SETUP.EXE

and show us the lines before the error with user32.

Lawson

"When there's no plan, there's one less thing to go wrong."
-Joe Redington, 'Father of the Iditarod'