Partial success: "Microshaft Winblows98"

Dan Kegel dank at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Feb 4 18:07:18 CST 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:
> --debugmsg warn+dosfs is almost completely noise in most cases.  Just
> take it out of the command line.

OK, I've repeated the run of the Winblows98 installer, but without the
dosfs warnings.  The log is at
  http://www.kegel.com/wine/winblows98/install2.txt
Again, this is with the Codeweavers preview 2 (codeweavers-wine-20010112-1).

If I filter out the many heap warnings, I get a much shorter log (see below).
Several of these look interesting to my untrained eye:
- is it bad that I don't have a reg.dat?
- is it bad that wine is looking in /etc/wine.{user,system}reg?
  Shouldn't it be looking at ~/.wine/{user,system}reg.def?
- ooh, no 16 or 32 bit USER sounds bad
- The CreateFileA filename warning sounds bad
etc.

Any suggestions?  I'm willing to carry out any debugging you can suggest.
- Dan

warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'reg.dat' not found or sharing violation
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (reg.dat): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
warn:reg:_get_wine_registry_file_format_version Couldn't open /etc/wine.userreg for reading: No such file or directory
warn:reg:_get_wine_registry_file_format_version Couldn't open /etc/wine.systemreg for reading: No such file or directory
warn:thunk:THUNK_InitCallout no 32-bit USER
warn:thunk:THUNK_InitCallout no 16-bit USER
warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int22 not implemented, returning dummy handler
warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int23 not implemented, returning dummy handler
warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int24 not implemented, returning dummy handler
warn:profile:PROFILE_Open profile file C:\WINDOWS\win.ini not found
warn:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_BuildSharedMap Not enough colors for the full system palette.
warn:file:CreateFileA Unable to get full filename from '(None)' (GLE 2)
warn:file:CreateFileA Unable to get full filename from 'C:\WINDOWS\(None)' (GLE 2)
warn:msg:QUEUE_WakeSomeone couldn't find queue
warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler intff not implemented, returning dummy handler
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'C:\WINDOWS\_delis43.ini' not found or sharing violation
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (C:\WINDOWS\_delis43.ini): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'GDI.EXE' not found or sharing violation
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (GDI.EXE): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'GDI.EX_' not found or sharing violation
warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (GDI.EX_): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
warn:dialog:MessageBox16 Messagebox

(That messagebox says "Setup is unable to initialize the language dialog box.
  Error 106"   )