HL and wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Feb 6 23:32:41 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Chase Granberry wrote:

> Whenever I try to run Half Life under wine it askes the to change my color
> depth to hicolor.  Other appz run in many colors though.  Any thoughts???

Just a guess:  kill X

startx -- -bpp 16

Most X servers still start in 8 bpp (256 colors) unless configured or
commanded otherwise.  I think hicolor is 65536 colors or 16 bpp.  _I_
can't see the difference, but maybe HL thinks you can.

If you use an X runlevel and/or [k|x|g]dm it isn't quite that simple,
but I don't want to get into that without further provocation.

Lawson

Half begun is well done.   - Benjamin Franklin Spooner