Project "Muncher" the next step in wine

Ishay Sommer isommer at checkpoint.com
Wed Feb 7 06:49:18 CST 2001

I am all for it!

-----Original Message-----
From: wine-users-admin at winehq.com [mailto:wine-users-admin at winehq.com]On
Behalf Of Josh Walker
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 7:59 PM
To: wine-users at winehq.com
Subject: Project "Muncher" the next step in wine

    Ok, It's a lame name but it was the best I could come up with after
spinning around in a desk chair for a few minutes. Here is the general
idea behind it.
    Once, in an interview, Steve Balmber, the CEO of Microsoft threw some
standard MS FUD out about Linux being a poor choice becaue each distro
tends to "mutate" linux and has no solid direction
    I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to "mutate" linux into windows? Create
a linux distro that looks, smells, feels, sounds, and tastes like Windows.
And maybe, even run DOS and Windows apps too! Last night I wrote up some
Ideas.
A good objective goal is this is to try and create a  windows clone.  You
can probably flame me and say It's a stupid Idea. I want you too. Tear it
apart and find flaws create a hypotheticel (sp)  buglist. Here's what I
wrote.

-----
	The folling document is a layout of the Muncher project. A project
to create a very very special distro of linux that is looks, smells fells,
and works just like windows. The orginal gloal will be to get it running,
(or appear to be running) enough native windows apps to win over inveters
and programmers to assist.
	The core will be linux using a "microsystem" to control the
windows applications. The there will be a seprete partition just for the
windows apps and a psudo-windows executible tree. The linux microsystem
will use wine, the ex2fs filesystem with Xfree86, gnome for a desktop
enviroment, and fvwm95 as a window manager. All the activeX compoents in
windows such as the My computer and the contol panels will be replaced
with small GTK apps written with glade. The microsystem will not be
accessable by the normal user, and do to it's volitle nature
safegurds will we placed to make sure that a poweruser *really* needs to
get into it.

The following is a list of the Windows/Active X compentents replaced with
the microsystem.

CORE:
Main Kernel	->	Linux 2.4.1, USB and harware support big
			plus/framebuffer
			http://www.kernel.org/

Dos support	->	DosEMU 1.0.1 with FreeDOS .98, depending on dos
			support under wine
			http://www.dosemu.org/
			http://www.freedos.org/

Windows support	->	Wine, the latest
			http://www.winehq.org/

Graphic Display	->	Xfree86 4.0.2 more graphics cards, the better fomt
			server
			http://www.xfree86.org

DirectX		->	Transgaming
			http://www.transgaming.com

Explorer(GUI)	->	modded FVWM95/Gnome desktop combo, just the
			desktop though
			ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/html-test/fvwm95.html
			http://www.gnome.org

Explorer(filelister)->	gmc (was Midnight Commander, swallowed by Gnome)
			http://www.gnome.org

Explorer(Browser)->	Mozilla (activeX compent, full browser)
			http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
			http://www.mozilla.org/

DO-HICKIES & THINGAMABOBS:
These are small apps that are written in gtk (possably quick glide apps)
that mimic the function of native windows apps.

My Computer	->	GTK do-hickie that looks like My Computer Launches
			gmc and
			the contol panel do-hookie.

System		->	GTK do-hickie that will list devices that are
			valid in /dev
			in a windows format, intermixed with kernal
			modules and
			stuff from kudzu.

Network Neighborhood->	LinNeighborhood/Samba
			http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/

Trash		->	Gnome's trash

Display Properties->	GTK do-hickie that edits xf86config, xscreensaver,
			and fvwmrc is a windows fimilar way

Dial-up Networking->	working for an ISP, I know this thing foreward and
			backwards do-hickie that writes chat/pppd scripts,
			easy!

Control Panel	->	Ugh! Do what WinME does. Make it simple unless you
			want complex. Start with date/time, internet
			options, display, printers, and totaly ignore
			add/remove programs for now.

			Complex will have date/time, display, fonts,
			internet options keyboard, modems. mouse, network,
			passwords, printers regonal settings, scedualed
			tasks, system

Date/Time	->	simple GTK app

internet options->	working for an ISP know this foreward amd
			backwards too edits chat/pppd scripts

Printers	->	Wrapper for redhat's printtool

add/remove programs->	not gonna touch this with a 10 foot pole. maybe
			later

fonts		->	links to the font dirs in X

keyboard	->	edits keyboard properties and Xkeyboard settings
			who's config file escapes me for the moment.

modems		->	chat script tweaking

mouse		->	gtk app that pays with mouse bindings

network		->	know this back and foreward too, grabbs info from
			the loaded kernel modules

passwords	->	password wrapper for xdm, gdm, *dm password
			thingies

regonal settings->	sets locale varible

sceduled tasks	->	wrapper for editing the chrontab