Installling more than one wine version (fwd)

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Feb 8 12:33:38 CST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Rick Moulton wrote:

> It seems that Corel Office 2000 for linux will not run on any version of
> wine later that the 1022999 ver..  Seems Any newer version causes an
> "ERROR no 6 and  stuff about not being able to find "wordperfect" or
> quattropro executuables, and also saying it is a wine error.
> 	My question, is there a way to install multiple versions of wine by
> changing makefile presets or destination directories? (some details
> would be be nice here.)
> 	There several windoze programs on my machine that seem to work fine in
> an older version, but wont with an upgrade

It can get a little messy, since Wine is based on shared libraries.
Maybe someone who knows configure better than I could work out a
versioned soname to keep so the executable[s] would find the right
winelib version.  From the source, you can control where Wine installs
to with ./configure --prefix=/where/you/like

Maybe, since we are now using -rpath, that would be enough to keep newer
versions straight; for older versions you might need LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
help it find the right library version.

The current Wine will respect WINEPREFIX (you might well want a
different config and registry files) and WINEDLLPATH.  (man wine)

of course, you can choose the executable by calling it by its absolute
path name.

It's sort of a moving target you picked on.

Lawson

Oh - did Corel hack the sonames on their version?  That would sure stop
it working it you install current dll's and winelib _in place of_ the
original ones.

You can find out by doing ldd on an exectable or library.  The sonames
it wants are on the left; the files the dynamic linker thinks will make
it happy are on the right.

Constants aren't, and variables won't.
---cut here