API implementation "HOWTO"

Jon Griffiths jon_p_griffiths at keep_your_ads_to_yourself.yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 12:43:13 CST 2001

Hi,

> I thought I remembered seeing something that discussed function
> ordinals (how to determine the correct ordinal for a function and how to
> reflect that in the SPEC, C, and header files).  I want to implement a
> Windows 2000 API (EnumPrinterDataEx).

Unless you know a function is actually imported by an application by
ordinal, or it is exported by ordinal only, you shouldn't give it an
ordinal number, use '@' in the .spec file instead.

Ordinal only exports are typically used only by MS when implementing
undocumented features that they don't want others to have access too, in
order to maintain an advantage for their apps (like shlwapi.dll & IE,
for example).

In this case you have a standard, documented call, so its unlikely its
ordinal is important.

Cheers,
Jon