OziExplorer works on LINUX using WINE

Jim Doutt jdoutt at whoi.edu
Mon Feb 12 09:37:19 CST 2001

I've succeeded in running the wonderful charting program
OziExplorer (3.85.3c),  http://www.oziexplorer.com/  , on
LINUX (RedHat 6.2) using WINE 20010112.  The times to load
the program and to load a map did take 5 to 8 times longer
using WINE than they did using WIN95.  I was able to enable
the serial port and have the position computed by my GPS
displayed on the chart.

OziExplorer is a wonderful shareware charting program that
can use just about any scanned image as a map or chart;  the
user can calibrate it by specifying several latitudes and
longitudes on the image.  It can also display the users
current position if a GPS is connected to the serial port.

I used the default compile and install from the WINE
sources.  I changed the default permissions on ttyS0 to r/w
for user.

I started Ozi with:      wine --managed  oziexp3853c.exe

task                WIN95  time       WINE  time

start pgm             10  sec                   80 sec

load chart              6 sec                   50 sec
13235_1 NFN

The program will also download waypoints from the GPS, but
this feature did not work under WINE (and did work OK with
WIN95).