Font control under Wine

Mark Norton nortonmd at home.com
Tue Feb 13 10:49:02 CST 2001

gerard patel <nomailthankyoug.patel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Is this 'battle VCR' some special part of a game or is it
> a game ? If the former, I can take a look at it with the demo
> version...all that is needed it to give the way to get there and
> to crash the app. Else you can also use the standard debug
> features of Wine (debugmsg +relay and post the 200 lines
> before the crash)

Well a brief primer.  Stars! is a PBEM game.  As such, the turns are generated
for everyone at once.  This does not allow for what some would call tactical
combat movement.  Essentially when combat occurs, it is resolved by the turn
generation server according to internal rules and rules the player gave his
units.  The player finds out what happened during a combat period when they
receive their next turn.

The Battle VCR is a dialog window that pops up and will replay how the combat
occurred as the server.  It is arguably the most graphically intense portion
of Stars! (which isn't saying much, since the game itself is pretty text
based, except for the map, and a few bar charts here and there).  The demo
version has a tutorial that will play and I'm relatively sure there's a
point where combat occurrs, but it could be 50-70 turns into the demo, it's
been a LONG time since I've tinkered with it.

If I can duplicate the bug Alberto is seeing, I'll try the debugmsg +relay
routine and see what comes out.  I'm not sure it's in the latest build since
in his earlier messages, he mentioned using a build from November or
December.

Regards,
Mark Norton