error_2_can't_find_apps

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 16 00:25:15 CST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, serge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried lunch something but the anwer was
> "can't find apps"
> (I used absolute path too)

I don't think so.  From the _linux_ console, stat /windows

Is your windows partition really mounted on /windows?
If so, its windows directory is probably /windows/windows.

By absolute path names, we really mean names starting from the *nix root
directry /.  If you can get at it from the linux console (with stat, or
file, or.. , and if it a path to it is described in the wine config
file, wine can get at it by the unix path name.

Even if your windows directory is really named /windows, and not
/windows/windows as I guess, I bet ProgramFiles is really Program Files.
To get that to wine through the *nix shell, you have to spell it either
Program\ Files or '<path>/Program Files/Office/winword.exe'.  <path>
might be /windows/windows  ... whatever it is you can access it from the
linux console, or wine can't find it either.  Single quotes '' protect
everything they enclose from the shell.  \ protects the single
character that follows.  If you want wine to see a space
in a directory name, you have to protect it or the shell will think it
is an argument separator.

Wine is not windows.  Wine is a unix program and library to provide the
windows API to windows programs.

> [serge at rex wineserver-rex]$ wine
> /windows/ProgramFiles/Office/winword.exe
> Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin /windows/ProgramFiles/Office/winword.exe
> Wine failed with return code 2
> /usr/bin/wine: line 516:  1046 Complété                tail -f $log_name
>
> Deleting /tmp/wine.log.Vv4t6C
> [serge at rex wineserver-rex]$ mc
>
> [serge at rex wineserver-rex]$ wine /windows/write.exe
> Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin /windows/write.exe ...
> Wine failed with return code 2
> /usr/bin/wine: line 516:  1090 Complété                tail -f $log_name
>
> Deleting /tmp/wine.log.dpm4FL
> [serge at rex wineserver-rex]$
> that's it
>
> what to do?
> Â)޺ǫ²f¢–)à–+-Â)޺ǫ³§zœ¢hm¶Ÿ¿ÿ0Â)Þ†§(›ùšŠYšŸùb²Ø§~ðŠw®±êì

Don't panic.

Lawson

Wee sleekit tim'rous cow'rin' beastie,
Wha wond'rous panic's in thy breastie?  - Robert Burns