kde2_what's thaT?

Steve Bradley bradleysm at mediaone.net
Mon Feb 19 04:37:34 CST 2001

serge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mandrake 7.0 kernel 2...14-15mdk.
> As far as I could gather I can't install kde 2.0.1. It needs kernel
> 2...15.
>
> Do I really need to recompile the kernel? Is it worth doing? I've heard
> KDE_2 very unstable.
>
> Should I wait for more stable 2.1 version?
>
> Is it possible to have KDE 1.1.2 and the new 2.01 without destroying
> previous setting, just to test?

Yes, it's almost always worth having newer kernels. (Personal opinion).

Yes, KDE2.01 is very good, quite stable (compile from sources if your system
has been upgraded from it's original distribution - that seems to help).  I
highly recommend it.

Yes, you can run KDE1 and KDE2 on the same machine - it's just a little more
of a hassle.  Before you compile KDE2 you need to set KDEDIR to the directory
you want it installed in.  Just make sure it's different than the one KDE1 is
in (ie: export KDEDIR=/opt/kde2).  I've heard it's easy to mess up your paths
and such this way, but I never had any trouble.

PS: comp.windows.x.kde is the KDE newsgroup - you'll get better answers by
posting there.

--
Steve Bradley
bradleysm at mediaone.net