symbol problems with FRESH install

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Feb 19 20:58:43 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Aaron Danner wrote:

> Hello,
> I installed wine 20010112 from source and can't get it to work.  I had an
> old version on before, but I COMPLETELY removed it before I started. I'm
> sure -- I checked for libkernel32.so and others, and even took away the
> .wine directory.  Anyway, so now I am getting this undefined symbol
> message:
> [root at localhost cdrom]# wine HWSetup.EXE
> err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin
> kernel32.dll: undefined symbol: __sysconf
> err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) KERNEL32.dll needed by
> D:\HWSetup.EXE not found
>
> I have read the faqs and it sounds like a problem with a previous
> installation but I don't think so.  I've tried several times to make sure
> everything is wiped clean.  Also, I checked to make sure that the
> /etc/ld.so.conf had the proper path to the wine libraries (it did).  So I
> don't understand why this didn't work.  But when installing with
> ./tools/wineinstall here was something quirky message at the end (see
> below), do you
> think this could have had something to do with it (the "unknown option")?
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.  RH7   -Aaron

> Preparing to install default Wine registry entries...
> Installing default Wine registry entries...
>
> Unknown option '--config'

I can't see that it's anything to do with your undefined symbol, but it
seems wineinstall was broken in that release.  --config is not any
longer an option to wine or winelib programs.  I expect it has been
fixed in the current release (Wine-20010216).  Since you already have
the source, you may as well get the patch file (from the same sites as
in the ANNOUNCE) and get up to date.

The README tells how to update by patch at the end of section 4.  It is
easy.  I have been doing it since May 1997.

I couldn't find any reference to sysconf in /usr/local/lib anywhere.
sysconf is defined in glibc, so the dynamic linker should have no
trouble to find it, unless you (or RH) installed glibc out in the back
of beyond somewhere.

Hmmm, __sysconf is defined in libc.a.  Did you configure with some
option to _not_ use shared libraries?  Odd.

Lawson

Half begun is well done.   - Benjamin Franklin Spooner

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.