wine + games: Deux + Baldur 1 and 2

Malte Cornils malte at cornils.net
Tue Feb 20 17:55:55 CST 2001

romain lerallut wrote:
>  I browsed the winehq and I found some people have been able to use wine on Deux Ex, and
> Baldur 1 and 2. I installed the games with windows (they worked fine) and then tried running
> them with wine under linux (debian 2.2, kernel 2.4.0) but no luck: both stop after the first
> screen...
>[...]
> Besides, do I really need an installed windows system to run/install the games ? (please tell
> me "no you don't" ) I'm tempted to trash the windows partition once and for all, but I fear the
> "Install Shield Wizard" won't like it.

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly what Uwe Bonnes told me in this
newsgroup about my InstallShield problems with BG2, it needs working
inter-process messages, which is probably still some time away. So
yes, at the moment, you still need Windows for installing BG2. I
mean, you could copy the files to a Linux partition which exactly
simulates the original paths you installed to and import the BG2
registry settings over, but still, you'd need Win for at least the
first installation.

BG1's Installshield is rather old, so it should work - I've got
Planescape working in a no-windows setup, so it's  probably doable.

Have fun, Yours Malte #8-)