Wine just won't work! Baffled.

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Feb 20 22:43:53 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Matthew Walton wrote:

> I just compiled and installed Wine 20010216 snapshot. Compiles fine,
> installs fine. I set up my configuration to use my Windows install, but
> when I try to run something, I get messages similar to this:
>
> Any ideas what's going on? Can I fix it? Wine used to work fine but then
> I installed a new snapshot (I think it was 200012-something) and then it
> didn't work anymore. One thing that might have caused it is the
> transition to Windows Me, which probably occured between my last
> successful use of Wine and the installation of the first snapshot that
> didn't work. None this year have worked either.

I don't know what to tell you.  I have Wine-20010216, built from source
on a Slackware 7.0 system - .. well, this one started out as Mandrake
6.1, and I dropped a bunch of stuff from Slackware 7.0 on top of it as
it suited my whim, then glibc-2.1.3 from Mandrake 7.2 ...

I can't debug errors "similar to", but those are awfully improbable for
Wine-20010216.  __wine_dbch_ole is an external data piece defined in
librpcrt4.so, so it can't come up undefined, and
WIN32_GetLargestConsoleWindowSize is defined in libntdll.so,  which
libkernel32 refers to explicitly, so ld.so should resolve it.

I think you have some hangovers from a previous Wine release or package
you need to get out of the way before a current wine can install
successfully.  IIRC, I had to uninstall the previous Wine by hand to get
Wine-20001222 to install properly.  If you have a bunch of symbolic
links named libkernel32.so and libntdll.so, get rid of them, and run the
make install again.  In the current Wine, those are library files, not
symbolic links.  There are some symbolic links that still belong -
libwine.so is one of them - but most for the dll's are gone.

> I also tried running it in no-windows configuration, but it still didn't
> work. I can't get the error messages back now, but they were very
> similar to those above - only there were about half the number I think.
>
> For informational purposes I'm running
> Slackware 7.0
> Kernel 2.4.0
> egcs-2.91.66
> XFree86-4.0.2
>
> I'd tell you what version my C libraries are but I can't remember how
> it's done.

ls -l /lib/libc.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Feb  3 01:50 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.1.3.so

> Come to think of it, the timing could have been when I changed to kernel
> 2.4 test releases, or even when I upped to XFree4. Are any of these
> known to cause problems?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> --
>  Matthew Walton
>
>  Defenestration (n) -
>   1) The act of throwing somebody out of a window
>   2) An entertaining pasttime involving a tall building, an
>      open window and a stack of AOL and/or Microsoft CD-ROMs
>
>  Miri it is whil Linux ilast

Lawson

If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
                    - William Blake

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.