Updating Starcraft?

R Pickett emerson at hayseed.net
Sun Feb 25 08:42:59 CST 2001

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0102251055330.19605-100000 at mizar.ping.uio.no>,
"Ove Kaaven" <ovek at arcticnet.no> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, R Pickett wrote:
>> I'm having a little trouble with trying to install newer versions of
>> Starcraft (updates or Brood War) on a win-free Wine installation.  I
>> can run the installer off the original Starcraft CD, and it puts all of
>> the files in the right place, adds a couple registry entries, and then
>> chokes on creating the entries in the Start Menu.  Still, I can kill
>> the process at that point, and I have a usable copy
>
> Usable? Runnable maybe, but not properly installed. The installer adds
> registry entries (required for patches) *after* the start menu entries,
> not before... this has been discussed before. So make sure the start
> menu entries are installed (create start menu\programs directories under
> your windows dir, install registry from winedefault.reg if it's not
> already done, everything).

Fair enough.  I've not been able to get the Start Menu part to work
correctly, though.  I've created Start Menu\Programs in the right place,
but it always fails when trying to access it.  I've tried various
capitalizations (including the one strace told me it wanted,
"WINDOWS/Start Menu/Programs/Starcraft"), and occasionally it will drop
the "Starcraft Electronic Registration.url" into that directory before
failing, meaning to me that it _is_ finding it, but it always tells me it
can't make a shortcut for G:\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe in C:\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Starcraft, and then dies.

My actual problem's cleared up, for the most part -- I installed it all
on a Windows box, then zipped up the resulting Starcraft directory and
copied it over.  The registry seems to have at least some of the right
information, as it will start and run, but as you say, it's hackishly
installed, so I'm not completely comfortable.

Any ideas on why the Start Menu\Programs.... business would fail, despite
several attempts with different capitalization options?  Thanks again.