Borland C++ 5 patch 1 and wine

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Feb 26 16:07:32 CST 2001

Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs at sky.bus.com> wrote:
: In article <97ds05$kii$1 at s1.read.news.oleane.net> Jean-
: Francois.MorcilloREMOVEME at beemind.com (Jean-Francois.MorcilloREMOVEME)
: writes:

:>After reading this article, I'm not sure it is the same problem...
:>Could you give me more details ?

: For what it's worth, I've had the same problem.  I don't believe in
: IDEs - I work from makefiles - but the linker hangs for me as well.
: Even if you just give Wine a command line running ILINK32 directly,
: it'll hang, unless you give it bad command-line parameters, in which
: case it'll stay alive long enough to spit out an error message and
: quit.  Otherwise, it'll sit there consuming 100% CPU until you kill
: Wine.

: The problem occurs with the linker that came with my BCB4, as well
: as the one that came in the BCB5 free download from Borland.  It
: happens on all versions of Wine that I've tried, including 20010216.
: At http://www.winehq.com there's a list of programs that have been
: tested with Wine; this list contains a couple of entries for BCB.
: Like me, they indicate that everything works well except the linker,
: which hangs.

Well, again I suspect the missing interprocess sendmessage in Wine as the
culprit.

: Someday when I have lots of spare time (ha!) I'd like to dig deeply
: into this one - I'd love to be able to build my 32-bit Windows
: programs on my Linux box.  (I can already compile MS-DOS and 16-bit
: Windows under DOSEMU, and Linux versions are, of course, trivial.)

What about MING or Cygwin as cross compiler?

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de