Wine Setup

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Feb 27 23:25:38 CST 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Robert Tilley wrote:

> I am a complete newbie to Wine.  I am aware of the wonderful things OTHER
> people can get it to do as far as running MS apps, but I have never had
> such sucess.
>
> The last attempt to run "winesetup" as root was met with the following:
>
> debian:/home/tilleyrw# whoami
> root
> debian:/home/tilleyrw# winesetup
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

This is nothing to do with Wine.  Wine is an X application, subject to
the same X rules as any other X application.  If root _has_ to run wine
for this (I don't know winesetup, I was building wine before any of the
convenience and package tools were developed, and it still works for
me), (tilleyrw should exit from X) and root should start X itself (or
log in itself, if you use GUI login).  That is the simplest way I know.
Otherwise, have a nice long recursive read of man xauth.

The rest is probably just fallout from the first failure.
> debian:/home/tilleyrw#
>
> I am using Debian and my system is updated nightly.  Has something broken
> in the latest builds?  I've used winesetup before and it is a very nice
> interface to the complicated wine.conf file.

No.  Maybe Debian has changed its X security policy.

> Any info is most appreciated.
> --
> Robert Tilley <tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com>

Lawson