winelib and no mfc

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jul 10 16:44:57 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, brian r wrote:

> Hi,

> I have assumed that if I want to use winelib for porting, I must
> compile MFC under Linux regardless if my app uses MFC or not.  Is
> this true?

   If your application does not need the MFC under Windows, then there
is no reason why it would need it with Winelib!

[...]
> Also, my app involves video compression for internet use.  Should I
> expect a degradation of performance by using winelib as opposed to
> Linux without winelib?

   I assume that your code is very CPU intensive, in that case its
performance will be strictly determined by the CPU you run it on. This
also means that its performance in Wine or Winelib should then be
strictly identical to the performance under Windows. Even applications
that make a lot of calls to the Win32 API generally have a performance
that is very similar in Wine and Winelib to that in Windows.

        War doesn't determine who's right.  War determines who's left.