wine-20010305 and serial port access

Wolfgang Bornath wobo at gmx.de
Thu Jul 12 12:33:29 CDT 2001

I'm trying to get the Windows-software for my digital camera to work
in wine under Mandrake 8.0 (kernel 2.4.3).
Installed wine without errors. Had a look at the ~/.wine/config and it
looked ok for me. The part concerning the serial ports:

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"
"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

Then I started the installer from the Toshiba-CD and installed the
software for my Toshiba PDR-M5. It's not supported by gphoto (nor by
gphoto2) so I am trying to get this windows-software running.

The software installed ok. I start it and when I get to the
configuring dialog for the serial port I chose Com1: and automatic
speed detection. When I ckick on OK I get this error message in the
xterm I started it from:

fixme:comm:SetupComm insize 4096 outsize 4096 unimplemented stub

The program's messagebox tells me that there is no connection to the
camera. When I close the complete program I get this message in my
xterm:

fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub

I checked permissions of /dev/ttyS0 and I also played around with
various options (trying other com ports in the Toshiba program, trying
different speeds for the serial port, trying different options with
setserial). Nothing changed a bit.
I'm doing all this as root to avoid permission probs.

I read a lot of messages about serial ports and wine on google.com but
nothing really hit (apart from that one message, telling that direct
access of serial ports is a nogo in wine).

Any idea?
wobo