wine : command not found

Mikkel Mastrup mikkelmastrup2 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 19:11:32 CDT 2001

I downloaded this file
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010510.tar.gz
(it's the source code). Then I unpacked it as root and then I went into the
"/root/wine-20010510"-directory. Then I typed ./tools/wineinstall (or
something like that). And then it startet installing. When it was finished i
edited my ~/.wine/config so that it would not automaticly start with the
"--desktop 640x480"-mode turned on.

Then I tried to start my favorite app by pressing "wine favoriteapp.exe" and
it said. "Command not found". Hmm... Then I went into the
"wine-20010510"-folder. From there I typed "./wine /root/favoriteapp.exe". I
don't remeber what i said but something was wrong with WINE so i didn't
work. I also tried "./wine --desktop 800x600 /root/favoriteapp.exe" and it
just said something about the "--desktop"-command didn't exist. I've tried
the Wine that followed with Mandrake 8.0 (that's the distribution I use
right now) and CodeWeavers WINE. Both of them started the favoriteapp.exe
just perfect. What has gone so terribly wrong?

Mikkel Mastrup