wine : command not found

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Jun 9 22:05:43 CDT 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Mikkel Mastrup wrote:

> I downloaded this file
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010510.tar.gz
> (it's the source code). Then I unpacked it as root and then I went into the
> "/root/wine-20010510"-directory. Then I typed ./tools/wineinstall (or
> something like that). And then it startet installing. When it was finished i
> edited my ~/.wine/config so that it would not automaticly start with the
> "--desktop 640x480"-mode turned on.
>
> Then I tried to start my favorite app by pressing "wine favoriteapp.exe" and
> it said. "Command not found". Hmm... Then I went into the

Unless you tell wine (with ./configure --prefix=<where you want it> it
installs itself to /usr/local, so the wine executable is
/usr/local/bin/wine.  Mandrake does not include /usr/local/bin in root's
path in hope to save it (root) from doing something stupid and/or
destructive.  If at all possible (unless your app needs direct hardware
access or so), wine would rather run for an unprivileged user anyway.
have a user run it (give it a good ~/.wine/config) and all should be
well.

> "wine-20010510"-folder. From there I typed "./wine /root/favoriteapp.exe". I
> don't remeber what i said but something was wrong with WINE so i didn't

If you can't understand an error message, at least quote it if you want
any help with it.

> work. I also tried "./wine --desktop 800x600 /root/favoriteapp.exe" and it
> just said something about the "--desktop"-command didn't exist. I've tried

It doesn't.  desktop is no longer a command option to wine.  If you want
it, you must put it in the config file, but you may specify a different
desktop (or no desktop) for each application.  See man wine.conf.

> the Wine that followed with Mandrake 8.0 (that's the distribution I use
> right now) and CodeWeavers WINE. Both of them started the favoriteapp.exe
> just perfect. What has gone so terribly wrong?

Nothing.  You get this letter by my favorite app run by Wine-20010510.

> Mikkel Mastrup

> The Microsoft Dictionary:
>
> Multi-platform: Works with both Windows NT Workstation and Windows 2000
> Professional.

Lawson

Probable user head space error. - Dennis A. Moore
---cut---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.