winelib with a dll

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Jun 19 20:54:03 CDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Bill Medland wrote:

> Sorry to bug you all, but I want to know if I am trying to do something
> impossible.
>
> I am trying to use winelib to compile an exe that links to a dll, without
> compiling the dll under winelib (i.e. the equivalent of simply linking in
> the .lib).
>
> I have a win32 DLL project (hw5) that generates a hw5.lib, hw5.dll and
> hw5.h under M$.
> I have a win32 gui exe project (hw6) that includes hw5.h, links to hw5.lib
> and calls hw5.dll at runtime.
>
> I copy the hw6 project to linux, with the hw6.h,lib,dll and try to create a
> linux hw6.
>
> Should I be able to do that or is that outside the scope of winelib?
>
> Bill

Basically, yes that is within the scope of winelib, I think, but maybe
not exactly as you think to do it.  winemaker knows more about winelib
than I do.  If you have source for the whole project, why not make a
winelib dll too?  But yes, there are ways to call a native dll from a
winelib executable.  I think nowadays you only need to import the dll in
your .spec file and winemaker will generate the glue code (.lib
equivalent) for it.  I've never done it.  My only winelib program so far
uses only wine builtin dll's and libc functions, but it does what I want
it to do.

There is lots of doco for winelib, including "man winemaker" and a whole
bunch of .sgml files in <wine>/documentation/ (also available in html
and other formats at the wine ftp sites (see <wine>/ANNOUNCE)) or you
might like to read them with this nasty little sed program:

#!/bin/sh
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

I keep it in /usr/local/bin/rsg, but you may use it as you see fit.

Lawson

If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.
---cut here---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.