Problem writing to fat hd

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Jun 26 19:33:48 CDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Willy Gardiol wrote:

> > > it says "disk full or read only". The partition is NOT read only as you
> > > can read (umask=0) and this problem happens even if i am ROOT!

> No, i have more than 2gb free on /deposito and less than 1gb on others
> partitions.
>
> > Can you write to it with an ordinary linux app, say
>
> yes, i can normally write to those partition with any linux program, both as
> root and user.
> Please note, my wine programs CANT write to fat partitions even if i am ROOT
> (not exactly, some installation programs can write... but most of windows
> programs cant)

Sorry, I can't see it.  I put off messing with rgooch's simpleinit to
make a fat32 filesystem (the new mkdosfs does most of the work - pretty
neat) and dusted off my two trusty win32 apps (I_view32.exe and juno
version 2).  I was able to [save as] to I:\tmp\oof.jpg and even
I:\oof,jpg.jpg and read them back (I: is /mnt/dosed, my new 8mb fat32
loopback filesystem).  I couldn't save a .bmp file - it didn't like the
extension, but it saved it as a .jpg.
Juno successfully exported a mail folder to I:\tmp\splooft.frm.
I did get some crashes in the more obscure places of the filedlg
control, but I think some people who know windows better than I are
working on those now.  If they are still broke when it settles down I
will see if I can fix them.

That message you quote is a typical kind of thing for a windows app to
put in the messagebox of a fault handler, but I can't see that that is
very likely in this case.

Not a linux permission problem, I think, and not _exactly_ a wine
problem.  Maybe there is some registry entry it wants for each drive to
know it may write on it?  What is on c:, BTW?  Is it read only?  Or did
you start with e: ?

maybe try
wine --debugmsg +file blah.exe &>~/log

and see if you can tell what it is trying to do.

for other shells than bash that &> may need to be
2>&1 >

> --
> Willy Gardiol
> gardiol at libero.it