Why is winemaker output a library & symlink?

Donn Miller dmmiller at cvzoom.net
Tue Jun 26 18:57:29 CDT 2001

Marcus Meissner wrote:

> In article <ax%R6.33895$hV3.53576 at newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
> David Rowe <voicet at bigpond.com.au> wrote:

> >1)  Why does winemaker (after ./configure, make etc) produce a library and
> >sym link as the output, e.g. why not an executable.
>
> This is the usual invokation method of WINE binaries. Do not worry.

This is an excellent question.  Is there any reason why you couldn't
just link the required Wine emulation functions into the executable
without the aid of the symlink/wine executable?  BTW, this would make a
great FAQ question if it isn't already one.  I tried to build my own
program manually without the aid of winemaker, and I got an "undefined
reference to main".  So, I created a wrapper.c file which included a
regular main() function, and called WinMain from there.  When I tried to
run the executable, the program exited with a message about a buffer
overrun in libwine.

I know that in the past, Winelib devel was done by linking with the wine
libraries, and no symlink was required.  Is it just safer to have the
symlink/wrapper?  I know that these days, there are so many other shared
libraries required, that requiring the wine executable is no big deal.

At what point was it mandatory to have the wine symlink for winelib
apps?  Just curious.  I can see one advantage is that you can configure
identical behavior for all your wine apps by modifying ~/.wine/config.

-Donn