Porting with Winelib

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 28 09:35:23 CDT 2001

Masahiko Hayashi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking into good way to port Windows applications
> to Linux and hopefully any other Unixes.
>
> I'd like to know about questions below.
> If anyone answer them, I'd appreciate it.
>

> 1. Can I use Winelib to port commercial application
>      whose sources will be not disclosed ?

     Yes.

> 2. Is it possible to link Winelib statically with an application and distribute it ?

     It is possible, but probably better to distribute shared object
libraries - static linkage in Wine is broken at the moment.
However, I think the important point of your question is:
can we distribute our own version of Wine with our app,
and the answer is yes.

> 3. In case that I don't use Winelib and use Wine instead
>     to provide commercial application,
>     can we include Wine with the application to distribute ?

     Yes

> 4. Does porting with Winelib still need to compile MFC ?
>     libmfc42.so still doesn't work ?

     Yes.  You can compile the MFC source.  It takes a bit
of doing, but can be done.  The winemaker tool is the key.

> 5. Can Winelib deal with other languages besides English
>      such as Japanese and German ?

     Yes.

> 6. How is printing ? Can we print from ported application like Windows ?

     Yes.

> 7. Is the license condition of Winelib is as same as the one of Wine ?

     Yes.

> 8. It might be a problem compiling MFC on Linux and
>     distributing it with an application
>     because of MS's MFC license condition, right ?
>     But there are companies have already ported their applications with Winelib.
>     How did they avoid this type of problems ?

     Their are a range of versions of MFC; most of them allow
redistribution of MFC.  For example, the most recent service pack
of Visual C++ 6 allows for this.

> 9. Though I think I have read most of part in winehq.com and
>     have checked newsgroups using groups.google.com,
>     if there are good information about porting by Winelib I'd like to know.

     Probably the best source of information is the Winelib user
documentation.  There is a copy at
http://wine.codeweavers.com/docs/winelib-user
you can also find those same documents under the documentation directory
in the main Wine source tree.

> 10. Is there good way to provide Help system
>        with ported application like Widows Help ?

     There is a winhelp executable under the programs directory.
However, our customers generally prefer to switch to an alternate
style of help, such as HTML.

Jeremy White
CEO
CodeWeavers, Inc.