line spacing problem

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:46:43 CDT 2001

Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> This problem is very old but I only started to bother now since
> more serious problems seem to be OK - well at least for now -
> who knows what will happen when the next tar ball is ready to
> be released ;-)
>
> This still happens with cvs010626 with a VB3 program designed
> to work on NT4/W2k down to Win3.1.
> In a text window the Helvetica font appears to have a normal body
> height but the EmHeight is far taller. So the line spacing is
> far too wide.
> Interestingly Helvetica is mapped to Arial in this window.
> With mappings from MS Sans Serif to Helvetica, MS Serif to
> Helvetica and System to Helvetica like in other parts
> of the window everything is OK.
> CreateFontIndirectW returns with (-13 0 0 0) which seems to
> be OK. GetTextExtentPoint16 and -32A return a font height
> of 14 point, which is also OK. Anyway the font is displayed
> far too high.

I have no idea whether there could be any possible relation. But I have
seen this same effect in the Netscape and Mozilla compose windows, if my
100dpi fonts were listed first in the xfs configuration, but the X
server was set for 75 dpi. This regardless of whether the compose window
was using a 100dpi font or a TT font. When I changed the X server to
tell it to use 100 dpi (or listed the 75 dpi font first in xfs), the
problem went away.

Duane