line spacing problem

Eike Lantzsch eikelan at gmx.net
Thu Jun 28 15:41:30 CDT 2001

Duane Clark wrote:
>  Eike Lantzsch wrote:

[...]
> > This still happens with cvs010626 with a VB3 program designed
> > to work on NT4/W2k down to Win3.1.
> > In a text window the Helvetica font appears to have a normal body
> > height but the EmHeight is far taller. So the line spacing is
> > far too wide.
> > Interestingly Helvetica is mapped to Arial in this window.
> > With mappings from MS Sans Serif to Helvetica, MS Serif to
> > Helvetica and System to Helvetica like in other parts
> > of the window everything is OK.
> > CreateFontIndirectW returns with (-13 0 0 0) which seems to
> > be OK. GetTextExtentPoint16 and -32A return a font height
> > of 14 point, which is also OK. Anyway the font is displayed
> > far too high.
>
>  I have no idea whether there could be any possible relation. But I have
>  seen this same effect in the Netscape and Mozilla compose windows, if my
>  100dpi fonts were listed first in the xfs configuration, but the X
>  server was set for 75 dpi. This regardless of whether the compose window
>  was using a 100dpi font or a TT font. When I changed the X server to
>  tell it to use 100 dpi (or listed the 75 dpi font first in xfs), the
>  problem went away.
>
>  Duane

Thanks for your reply.
I'm running xfstt and the xserver is started from kdm (KDE). I should
have mentioned this in the first place.
I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust what you are mentioning.
I tried to start "xfstt --res 100" with no effect but am not sure yet
if I did it correctly.
According to the Xfree86 HOWTO the order of paths in X86config should
not matter when xfstt is used :-/ but I changed it anyway to no avail.
I adapted kdmrc also for "Failfont=helvetica,14,5,0,100,0" and
"StdFont=Helvetica,12,5,0,100,0"
but to no avail.
I'm on a loose here. Can you or somebody else please elaborate. Seems
to me that I'm a X11 Luser ;-)

Regards, Ike
--
        . .                     Eike Lantzsch
       <___>                    CdC 1489 ASUNCION PY