line spacing problem

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:03:37 CDT 2001

Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> Duane Clark wrote:
> >  Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > >
> [...]
> > >
> > > This still happens with cvs010626 with a VB3 program designed
> > > to work on NT4/W2k down to Win3.1.
> > > In a text window the Helvetica font appears to have a normal body
> > > height but the EmHeight is far taller. So the line spacing is
> > > far too wide.
> > > Interestingly Helvetica is mapped to Arial in this window.
> > > With mappings from MS Sans Serif to Helvetica, MS Serif to
> > > Helvetica and System to Helvetica like in other parts
> > > of the window everything is OK.
> > > CreateFontIndirectW returns with (-13 0 0 0) which seems to
> > > be OK. GetTextExtentPoint16 and -32A return a font height
> > > of 14 point, which is also OK. Anyway the font is displayed
> > > far too high.
> >
> >  I have no idea whether there could be any possible relation. But I have
> >  seen this same effect in the Netscape and Mozilla compose windows, if my
> >  100dpi fonts were listed first in the xfs configuration, but the X
> >  server was set for 75 dpi. This regardless of whether the compose window
> >  was using a 100dpi font or a TT font. When I changed the X server to
> >  tell it to use 100 dpi (or listed the 75 dpi font first in xfs), the
> >  problem went away.
> >
> >  Duane
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I'm running xfstt and the xserver is started from kdm (KDE). I should
> have mentioned this in the first place.
> I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust what you are mentioning.
> I tried to start "xfstt --res 100" with no effect but am not sure yet
> if I did it correctly.
> According to the Xfree86 HOWTO the order of paths in X86config should
> not matter when xfstt is used :-/ but I changed it anyway to no avail.
> I adapted kdmrc also for "Failfont=helvetica,14,5,0,100,0" and
> "StdFont=Helvetica,12,5,0,100,0"
> but to no avail.
> I'm on a loose here. Can you or somebody else please elaborate. Seems
> to me that I'm a X11 Luser ;-)

The X server resolution that I am referring to is the screen resolution,
as reported by xdpyinfo:
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1600x1200 pixels (406x305 millimeters)
  resolution:    100x100 dots per inch

I run GDM (RH 6.2), and that was changed by editing /etc/X11/gdm.conf
and changing:

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100

I don't know where it is changed in KDM. By the way, this had no
apparent affect on anything except text font size.

Just out of curiousity, do those lines you mention mean that you have a
TrueType Helvetica font? Did that come with your distribution, or is it
available somewhere (on the web) that I could get ahold of it?

Duane