Porting with Winelib

eric pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 30 06:52:08 CDT 2001

> I also wonder why IBM Homepage builder
> and Corel WordPerfect use Wine and not Winelib.
I don't know for IBM, but the Corel folks decided to use wine because
it was quicker for them to develop. I think one of the main hurdle is to
port the app from a Windows compiler (VC, BC...) to gcc.
Even, if 99% is portable, the remaining 1% can be rather high to do.
- First, you have to regenerate all your compilation chain (there is
currently no, say, MSVC project to Makefile generator)
- Then you have to deal with all the C portability issues (from the
compiler point of view) (things such as anonymous structs, specific
MS pragmas, specific Windows extensions (for example __export))
- winemaker tries to deal a bit with these issues, but there's still
work to be done
- support for specific libs is not fully done (or immediately
available, see previous post on MFC for example)

furthermore, at the time IBM and Corel made their choice, the winelib
path was not heavily tested. This has evolved a lot (including, tools
like wrc ou wmc), so the decision could be different.

> Is there any commercial product ported with Winelib ?
yes. I think at least of two (one vector oriented drawing tool), and
perhaps also some CW items (Jeremy ?)

A+