fatal signal 11

Andreas Mohr aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 11 09:15:15 CST 2001

g.patel at wanadoo.fr wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:15:21 -0800, <cfk at pacbell.net> wrote:

>>I downloaded the latest wine from the cvs site and ran its
>>./tools/wineinstall. It ran for quite a while and croaked on
>>/wine/server/semaphore.c. Basically, gcc says "Internal compiler error:
>>program cc1 bog fatal signal 11". The compiler is 2.91.66 (aka egcs-1.1.2
>>release) and compiles other programs including 2.4.1 & 2.4.2 Linux kernels
>>just fine. I am puzzled what 'fatal signal 11' may mean. Can anyone offer a
>>suggestion for a course of  investigation.

> Signal 11 is segmentation error. There is a FAQ somewhere
> about it IIRC. It boils down to hardware error most of the time.
Huh ???
I thought we had already agreed a looong time ago
that it is NOT a hardware problem in most cases, but rather a compiler bug.
The days of buggy early K6 CPUs are long gone...
Faulty memory is a slightly different matter, though.

> It seems that gcc triggers these most of all software.
Sure. 2.91.66 is extremely problematic.

BTW, does somebody know what could cause the sig11 in
wine/server/semaphore.c ?
Hmm, I guess I'll have to dig out some similar sig11 fixes and compare them
with semaphore.c content...

Andreas Mohr