Successful compile of Wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Mar 11 20:19:17 CST 2001

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 cfk at pacbell.net wrote:

> Well, running 'wine sol' from /c/windows causes the following three messages
> to be emitted:
>     Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
>     Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:

These are noise.  AFAIK only Slackware wants to mount the cdrom on
/cdrom (RH and incarnations use /mnt/cdrom and (I think) /mnt/floppy.
If you fix your config so it names things that really exist on your
system these errors will go away.

>     err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) CARDS.dll needed by
> C:\windows\sol.exe not found

Okay, it didn't find it.  If you have pedump or pedisassem, try how they
like that file cards.dll.  maybe the file got broken while being ftp'd.
The only experience I have with windows ftp is using the ftp client with
wine and linux wu-ftpd.  The client likes to use ASCII mode, and this
makes garbage out of binary files.  If I tell it binary, it seems to
work OK.  What I was talking about looks more like this:

rundll32 40018000 0 Shell32,Control_RunDLL findfast.cpl 1
err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) Msi.dll needed by C:\windows\system\findfast.cpl not found
err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load C:\windows\system\findfast.cpl
rundll32 TTFN 1

findfast.cpl is there, but I have no idea where to get Msi.dll, so it
isn't.  rundll32 is a little winelib program I am working on.

Or maybe we can tell better from --debugmsg +module,+fixup why it
doesn't find it.

> Running 'wine calc' does the Drive A: & D: stuff, adds:
>     fixme:win:GetProcessDefaultLogout (0x405a5e18): No BiDi
>     <but runs a calculator anyway>

Well, 1 out of 10 is not so bad for a first attempt.

> Running 'wine welcome' from /c/windows causes the followiing three messages
> to be emitted but welcome comes up and displays color graphics:
>     Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
>     Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
>     err:animate:ANIMATE_WindowProc unknown msg 0467 wp=01000000 lp=00000001
>
> Running 'winddbg' causes:
>     Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
>     Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
>     Console: Making console complex (creating an xterm))...
>     fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
>     Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "Wheat"
>     <   ...other lines for 9 other colors...   >
>     xterm: unable to open font "vga", trying "fixed"....
>     passed master doesn't match slave name

That looks more like winedbg.  That last message is worrisome.  Are you
sure you haven't an old wineserver from a previous attempt lying around
getting in the way?

> After this, an xterm window appears that is of course all black (although
> notepad, welcome, calc do color graphics fine)
>
> Running 'wine write' or 'wine wordpad' lookes like the previous but adds the
> message:
>     This program cannot be run in DOS mode

I have never seen this from wine.  Of course wine knows to skip the
stupid phony msdos stub in a normal exe file, unless the file is somehow
broken.

> Running 'wine explorer' displays the Drive A: & D: thing, adds
>     fixme:shell:SHLWAPI_437 (0x00000004)stub
>     fixme:shell:SHRegGetUSValueW (0x40cd0c), stub!
>     < and croaks, but CTRL-C causes a few messages of the form:
>         /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134704920.exe not accessible from a DOS drive
> >

> Running 'wine edit.com' produces the same drive A: & D:, the color stuff,
> the passed master doesn't match slave name followed by:
>     X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
> parameter)
>     <and other related emissions>
>
> Running 'wine regedit' emits the drive A: & D: as per normal and adds:
>     fixme:listview:LISTVIEW_Create ANSI notify format is NOT used
>     <but gives me a color graphic regedit window with nothing under the
> normal HKEY_'s>
>
> Running 'wine cw32' flashes the color graphic of the CodeWright opening
> screen for a 100ms or so, displays the A: & D: stuff, and goes back to the
> shell prompt.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree by trying to run this without windows
> installed on the local hard disk of this machine. I thought the problem
> would be simpler if I just dis-connected windows from the equation and only
> dealt with the associated .EXE and .DLL files, but perhaps I am being naive
> here.

In general, wine builtin dll's work better with wine than windows native
ones do, but some are rather incomplete, and since anyone who has the
urge can make a dll, there are not wine builtins for all possible dll's.

For now, I think you would do better to supply native msvcrt and crtdll,
and set the [DllOverrides] in the  config file to use them rather than
the wine builtins.  Some apps may do better with native
shell,shell32,shlwapi or possibly some others of the less central dlls.
Do not mix native and builtins in a set, native shell,shell32 with
builtin shlwapi say, or native shlwapi with builtin shell32.

Lawson

	  >< Microsoft free environment
This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.
---cut here---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.