wine + halflife recommendations...????

Laurent Jacquot ljt at neurocom.com
Mon Mar 12 12:23:24 CST 2001

Benjamin FRANCOIS wrote:

> Markus Holzapfel a tapoté:
>
>> I run HL with 20010127 (20010112 with winehq patch from www.transgaming.com)
>> and the d3d patch from transgaming. How do you start HL? Try for example:
>> cs hl-dir; wine -desktop 1024x768 -- hl.exe -console -toconsole -gl -w 1024
>> Or add +connect ip:port to that line, e.g. +connect 213.168.202.69:27025
>

> Is the transgaming patch absolutely needed ? I keep getting a
> "Unhandled page fault on read access to (hex address) at (hex address)
>  Do you wish to debug it ? (Y/N)" every time I try to run Half-Life.
>
> I did compile OpenGL support into Wine 20010305, I've already done it with
> older versions, but every time I'm getting this error message :-(
>
> I'm using nVidia's 0.9.6 drivers with X-Free 4.0.2 and a 2.4.2 kernel.

I've had (quit a long time ago now -ages before transgaming-) a thread
with Lionel Ulmer about crashes with half life. For some reasons, half
life used weird and unsupported open gl functions. Lionel explained to
me that those fancy function won't be be supported by wine.
Luckily, the latest patches from half life removed those crappy things.
All i had to do was:
download the latest patches from sierra,
run the patches using wine,
and i could play hl :-) with a similar cmd line:

wine hl.exe -console

maybe it can help...
bye