Direct printer port access in Wine?

alex alex at bozoka.com
Tue Mar 13 03:02:41 CST 2001

Christopher R. Carlen wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a Windoze program which uses the printer port for interfacing
> (not printing).  So far, it has indicated when I run it with Wine that
> the printer port is found but the attached hardware is not responding.
>
> I also can't print anything in Wine, but perhaps I can make some
> progress with that as I have recently found some documentation on the
> subject.
>
> Can programs that access the printer port work in Wine?

The wonderful answer is, I have had success in this...:)
All I had to do was turn on printing in .config and also
make the lp read & write point to the correct port (hex code...:).
That made it possible for me to use my mp3-player manager that
connects to the lp port, it worked with both redhat 7 and mandrake 7.1.
I tried the same from vmware but no go...but as wine kicks
butt I was happy with that...however it was not entirly stable
but enough for me to use it on a daily basis.
Im hoping I soon will be able to boot office 2000 and print using
the microsoft usb drivers for my lexmark Z12 printer...oh how I hope..

kind regards...
/Alex