Wine failure

Rinaldi J. Montessi rjmontessi at excite.com
Tue Mar 13 20:30:06 CST 2001

g.patel at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:41:33 -0500, "Rinaldi J. Montessi"
> <rjmontessi at excite.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >Now.  Is there a growing list of fonts that *are* wine compatable?
>
> Wine has nothing to do with that.
>
> Wine gives to X a font  - an external input for Wine.
> X don't like it. Unless the font has been converted
> using font2bdf, there is nothing Wine can do to make
> the font palatable to X Window. It's either a font or a
> X Window problem.
>
> Wine could ignore the invalid external inputs, though.
>
> I have already posted this patch on this news group
> You can access old posts using Google.
>
> Gerard

Gerard, I have attempted to apply your patch.  Here's the .rej file.  I
imagine there have been some changes to xfont.c since you wrote this;
but I haven't a clue when in comes to code.  I'm using the 20010305
tarball.

As a side note; I've done the ttmkfdir and mkfontdir with no problems in
my .ttf directory; and have turned over the handling of ttf's to xfs.
I'm no longer using xfstt.

I also tried this patch (hand edited xfont.c) and it also failed.

http://wine.codeweavers.com/cgi-bin/fom?amp=&auth=none&file=365&id=rjmontessi%40excite.com

***************
*** 1971,1977 ****
         }
         else lpstr = x_pattern[i];

-        if( (x_fs = TSXLoadQueryFont(display, lpstr)) )
         {
             XFONT_SetFontMetric( fi, fr, x_fs );
             TSXFreeFont( display, x_fs );
--- 1997,2003 ----
         }
         else lpstr = x_pattern[i];

+        if( (x_fs = XFONT_GetFont(lpstr)) )
         {
--
Rinaldi]$