Mathematika err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE

Andreas Mohr aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:11:14 CST 2001

865news6854 at vortex.physik.uni-konstanz.de wrote:
> Andreas Mohr wrote:
>> To identify what the problem with that error message is, do:
>> --debugmsg +relay &>logfile
>> Search for the last GetDC() call before the error message,
>> examine the ret= return address. If the return address is 0x4xxxxxxx, then
>> it's Wine code which is misbehaving:
>> Run winedbg instead of wine, use "disas 0x4xxxxxxx" to find out which
>> function does the GetDC call, grep the Wine code for this function and
>> find out why this function doesn't do a ReleaseDC before destroying the
>> window (?).
>>
>> Andreas Mohr
>>

> Thanks for your reply!

> Ok, I did that. The GetDC call before the error looks like this:

> Call user32.252: GetDC(00001264) ret=00547633 fs=008f
> Ret  user32.252: GetDC() retval=00000048 ret=00547633 fs=008f

> So it is not wine code. What else can be done?
Yep.
This could indicate that the program flow is abnormal, i.e. the program
doesn't call ReleaseDC for some reason.
OTOH quite many Windows programs are Q&D programs and buggy.

You say the program hangs or so.
Try to find out why.
Difficult, yes. But I don't really know how to debug it in a 100%
successful way. I don't think there is such a thing ;-)
Check which Wine processes are running and which are not.
Run gdb wine, "attach <pid>", "bt" for all Wine processes and try to find out
why it hangs.

Andreas Mohr