Entropia distributed computing client won't install

Andreas Mohr aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:28:26 CST 2001

Christopher Weth <zxmsj04 at jura.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> Because our institute is planning a distributed-computing project in
> cooperation with the Entropia software, and I do not like the idea of
> excluding all Linux users from the project, I tried to get the Entropia
> software running using a recent version of wine (Wine release 20010305),
> which I compiled & installed on a SuSE Linux 6.4 machine (glibc 2.1.3,
> kernel 2.2.14) (the entropia software can be obtained without registration
> at http://www.entropia.com/join.asp).

> Obviously it didn't work (otherwise I probably would not post here).
> :-(

> When I start up wine, with

> wine --winver win95 -managed c:/Entropia2000Setup.exe

> I get the following warnings, fixmes and errors:

> Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current working
> directory /net/alamak/home/weth/local/wine/wine-20010305; starting in
> windows directory.
> fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
> err:win32:PE_FindExportedFunction module not found for forward
> 'user32.CharToOemBuffA' used by 'kernel32.dll'
> err:win32:fixup_imports No implementation for KERNEL32.dll.11 imported
> from C:\windows\system\advapi32.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef

> After that, a lot more fixmes about font stuff are appearing.
> Finally, the setup program pops up and tells me to wait while the
> InstallShied wizard extracts... but it doesn't - neither the progress bar
> moves, nor does it do anything on the hard disk. This is independent of
This sounds awfully much like being yet another victim of the SetWindowLong
bug (i.e. the same new InstallShield installer with the progress bar that's
stuck).

This patch should fix it:
 471     Mar 16 Dmitry Timoshko (  60) Allow exchanging of WS_CHILD and WS_POPUP

(much better version of my very old "SetWindowLong" patch, it seems)

Andreas Mohr