VXDs under linux?

Ian Schmidt irsman at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 21:51:12 CST 2001

In article <3ab2dd4e.2340476 at news.stargate.net>,
Chris <antispam at stargate.net> wrote:

>Ok, thanks.  One last thought:  I heard MS is making 95% of the winXP
>code available to the big people... maybe after a linux kernel hacker
>gets ahold of that the support could be ported.

1) That would be illegal, the code is not under any kind of open license,
   and there's non-disclosures from here to Mars covering it.
2) You're missing the point entirely.  WE DONT *WANT* VXDS UNDER LINUX,
   IT WOULD BE A HORRIBLE TRAGIC BAD DISASTEROUS THING!!!!  See, the
   reason Windows is unstable is in many cases because of the 3rd
   party VxDs being buggy.  If you ran them under Linux they'd crash
   your kernel just as much as they crash Windows'.  I know it's harsh,
   but throw away whatever it is you don't have drivers for and buy
   something supported.  Or lobby the manufacturer for specs.

--
Ian Schmidt - ischmidt [at] cfl [dot] rr [dot] com
WINE Screenshots: http://wine.godmonkey.com/