VXDs under linux?

Chris antispam at stargate.net
Fri Mar 16 22:31:06 CST 2001

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:51:12 GMT, irsman at cfl.rr.com (Ian Schmidt)
wrote:

>In article <3ab2dd4e.2340476 at news.stargate.net>,
>Chris <antispam at stargate.net> wrote:
>
>>Ok, thanks.  One last thought:  I heard MS is making 95% of the winXP
>>code available to the big people... maybe after a linux kernel hacker
>>gets ahold of that the support could be ported.
>
>1) That would be illegal, the code is not under any kind of open license,
>   and there's non-disclosures from here to Mars covering it.
>2) You're missing the point entirely.  WE DONT *WANT* VXDS UNDER LINUX,
>   IT WOULD BE A HORRIBLE TRAGIC BAD DISASTEROUS THING!!!!  See, the
>   reason Windows is unstable is in many cases because of the 3rd
>   party VxDs being buggy.  If you ran them under Linux they'd crash
>   your kernel just as much as they crash Windows'.  I know it's harsh,
>   but throw away whatever it is you don't have drivers for and buy
>   something supported.  Or lobby the manufacturer for specs.
>
>--
>Ian Schmidt - ischmidt [at] cfl [dot] rr [dot] com
>WINE Screenshots: http://wine.godmonkey.com/

1. I guess so... didn't occur to me.
2. I understand that.  I've tried lobbying (got a bunch of friends to
email them too), but I guess I'll have to live with no support until
god knows when (when Intel decides linux users want 10mps anypoint
cards) or when I go to a college where I can use supported NICs.

Thanks